How To Set Up NordVPN on Samsung Smart TV
NordVPN is one of the best VPN services for Samsung Smart TV. It is also pretty easy to set up. Here we will explain how to do it as easy as possible.
Our Score: 9.6
NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN provider that is very big on privacy. The service is among the big and famous names in the VPN industry and has many excellent features, a total package that is worthy of all the accolades that its users give it in their reviews.
Now, even though NordVPN is compatible with many devices and operating systems, the network cannot be directly installed on your Samsung Smart TV. Many VPNs are designed to be compatible with mainly Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices. That makes it very easy to install and set up VPNs directly on those devices. But then, Samsung Smart TV runs under a different operating system called Tizen OS. It used to be the Orsay OS, but in 2015 they discontinued its use. Samsung Smart TVs come with either of these operating systems and therefore are not designed to be compatible with any VPN service.
Thankfully, there are legitimate bypasses that allow you to set up a VPN connection to your Smart TV remotely. This article is a guide to the entire process of setting up NordVPN on your Smart TV, as well as an extensive overview of NordVPN and why it is a good fit for your Samsung TV.
There are three main ways with which you can set up a remote NordVPN connection to your Smart TV; they are:
1. By Setting Up a Connection through Your PC
This method of VPN connection can be carried out through a personal computer. Begin by opening your computer and taking the following steps:
- Click on Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre>Change Adapter Settings.
- After doing this, an option called “TAP-Win32 Adaptor V9 here if your VPN is using OpenVPN.”
- Then right-click on it and choose Properties>Sharing Tab.
- Tick the“Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box.
- Next, select the Ethernet connection that you have configured these settings for.
- Lastly, restart your PC and start using internet services on Samsung Smart TV.
2. By Setting Up a Connection On your Router
This method is one of the surest and most utilized ways to connect a VPN service to your Smart TV. The reason it is considered the most straightforward is that as soon as the Virtual Private Network is configured, your Samsung Smart TV and other devices you connect to the router get an automatic connection to NordVPN so they can be maximally protected.
A note of warning: To set up your NordVPN, you would need a compatible router. From Dec 1st, 2018, NordVPN servers stopped supporting L2TP/IPsec and PPTP connections. For a NordVPN connection to your router to work, it needs to support OpenVPN. It also needs to support it as a “Client,” not a “Server” before it can work with NordVPN servers.
The set of guidelines below are specifically for the DD-WRT router because it is one of the most versatile routers available. It is easy to configure and adopts new settings without any trouble.
- First, head to Setup, and then to Basic Setup.
- Scroll down to Network Address Server Settings (DHCP). Here, set the NordVPN DNS addresses:
Static DNS = 22.214.171.124
Static DNS 2 =126.96.36.199
Static DNS 3 = 0.0.0.0 (default)
Use DNSMasqfor DHCP = Checked
Use DNSMasqfor DNS = Checked
DHCP-Authoritative = Checked
- Now, save and apply these settings.
- Next, go to Setup>IPv6. Set IPV6 to Disable, then save and apply these settings. This step is necessary to ensure you are guaranteed zero IP leaks.
- Afterwards, go to service> VPN, and then Under OpenVPN Client, set Start OpenVPN Client = Enable (to see the options needed for configuration.) Next, Set the following:
Server IP/Name = (For this guide, we will use us936.nordvpn.com, but you should make use of one from https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ ), then select the “Show available protocols,” and proceed to download UDP or TCP configuration file. It is necessary for the steps below. The server hostname can be found under the server title.
Port – 1194 (or 443 for TCP protocol)
Tunnel Device = TUN
Tunnel Protocol – UDP (or TCP)
Encryption Cipher = AES-256-CBC
Hash Algorithm = SHA-512
User Pass Authentication = Enable
Username and Password = Your NordVPN details
If the last field above is missing, proceed to the next step in 6 below.
Advanced options = Enable (to turn on additional advanced options)
TLS Cipher = None
LZO Compression = Disable
NAT – Enable
Any item not mentioned in the guide should not be tampered with. Depending on the conditions fulfilled in step 5, if the Username and Password fields are missing, do this:
- Head to Administration > Commands, and enter this code by copying and pasting it:
echo “YOURUSERNAME YOURPASSWORD” > /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf/usr/bin/killall openvpn/usr/sbin/openvpn –config /tmp/openvpncl/openvpn.conf–route-up /tmp/openvpncl/route-up.sh –down-pre /tmp/openvpncl/route-down.sh –daemon
- Swap the “YOURUSERNAME” and “YOURPASSWORD” inside the code with your relevant NordVPN details.
- Next, save Startup, and go back to the former VPN tab.
- Next, in the Additional configuration box, copy and paste the following commands:
#Delete `#` in the line below if your router does not have credentials fields and you followed the step 6 #auth-user-pass /tmp/openvpncl/user.conf
- Then open the OpenVPN configuration that you downloaded in Step 5 in any of the following text editors of your choice: Notepad++ or WordPad. The regular Notepad app cannot work because it doesn’t have the right formatting.
- Once you can open the .ovpn file of any server you have chosen, the server you should be seeing is us936_nordvpn_com.udp.ovpn On any of the text editors mentioned above, you should see <ca>, this part of the file should NOT be copied; both the <ca> and </ca> tags.
- Copy only from the lines in-between those tags, beginning from ——BEGIN CERTIFICATE—— and ending with ——–END CERTIFICATE—— . Paste the entire text in the CA cert box.
- Return to the configuration file and scroll to <tls-auth>. Copy the contents of the key, starting at “–—–BEGIN … “and stopping at “END… key V1—–” Then paste it into the required TLS Auth Key field.
- Once all these data have been entered accurately, Save and Apply the settings.
To confirm that it was excellently done and that your VPN is now working, go to Status>OpenVPN. Under the State option, it should display – Client: CONNECTED SUCCESS
The third and final method to use as you in setting up a VPN connection is to:
3. Set Up a Connection through a SmartDNS proxy
SmartDNS proxies are excellent for making your online streaming experience a breeze. If you’re one that enjoys heavy streaming, especially on restricted streaming sites such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc, DNS proxies are great for you. They’re one of the best in unblocking these geo-restricted sites so that you can stream these contents freely. Unlike a VPN, however, SmartDNS does not provide encryption for your data, which still leaves it susceptible to trackers, hackers and malicious sites.
If you are looking for secure encrypted services, this may not be one of the best choices for you, but if you are only looking for a geo-unblocker for your TV so you can have access to more sites, then you are on the right track. Also, it can be directly installed on your Smart TV, and only needs to be configured once.
- First, click on the MENU button on the Samsung Smart TV’s remote control
- Then proceed to work your way through until you get to NETWORK
- Next, click on Network Status, then IP settings.
- Open DNS Settings and choose “Enter Manually.”
- Enter your DNS Server Address and then select OK
- Start your Samsung Smart TV once the connection test is completed.
All the above steps are a little bit lengthy and tasking, but it is a small price to pay in ensuring that you always remain secure. But after going through these lengthy processes, it may interest you to know:
What Makes NordVPN the best for your Samsung Smart TV?
- Online Security and Data Protection
Signing up to any of the plans on NordVPN gives you full protection and security of all your online information. Its privacy policies and security measures are rated as one of the best on the market. To ensure that all your information is encrypted and secure, NordVPN uses about six key features, including specific protocols that are known for top-notch security.
The most important of these six features is the Double VPN that gives you double encryption services that to keep your data extra safe. There is also the Onion Over VPN feature that not only encrypts your data, but it also takes it through multiple layers of privacy through a network called TOR.
Another essential feature is the automatic Kill-Switch that gets turned on as soon as a drop is detected in the VPN connection. That is done to ensure your data does not become vulnerable to malicious sites and online criminals.
Its strict ‘no-logs’ policy also makes the list of protective features. This policy ensures that under no circumstances will your data be recorded, kept or shared by the NordVPN company.
- Quality Geo-unblocking Services
Another great feature that users benefit from using NordVPN for Samsung Smart TV is its powerful unblocking feature. It gives you access to almost all the geo-restricted streaming apps you wish to stream or download from like for example Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Roku, Amazon Prime and Netflix. It has over 5200 servers in 59+ countries; this means that you’re no longer restricted by location when you need to access sites outside of your region.
- No More Annoying Ads
With NordVPN, you no longer have to worry about annoying and unsolicited pop-up ads. Pop-up ads are one of the most frustrating things about using a Samsung Smart TV; these ads not only interrupt your online activity but also sometimes slow down your internet usage and may be dangerous and malicious. NordVPN offers its users this great feature once they are subscribed to a NordVPN plan, therefore giving them a faster and hitch-free online experience.
- Saves You Lots of Money
Just by signing up and subscribing to any NordVPN plan, you save yourself some extra money that you spend on fixing damages like viruses on your Smart TV. It also helps you to save the money you would have used to subscribe to many plans on different devices. NordVPN generously allows you to simultaneously connect six of your other devices to your account while you pay for just one subscription plan. This Virtual Private Network also has some of the best pricing plans on the market; let’s look at them in detail below:
Best NordVPN Deals for Samsung Smart TV users
If you were worried about breaking the bank to get this quality list of features above, you could fret no more. NordVPN offers very affordable subscription plans and deals for its users. Unlike many VPN services which usually have only a 12-month plan as their highest duration of paid service, NordVPN boasts of an effective 3-year subscription plan. All subscription plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll get a refund if you make a request within 30 days.
- 3-year Plan: This is the most popular and cheapest deal for users of the provider. It helps you save a terrific 70% paying $3.49 monthly.
- 2-year Plan: This plan is also a reasonably good choice. On this plan, you save about 58% by paying a monthly rate of $4.99.
- 1-year Plan: The 1-year plan saves you only about 41%, so you get to pay a total of $83.88 yearly instead of the $143.40 that you would have paid on the monthly plan.
The longer the duration of service you subscribe for, the higher the saving benefits you receive!
This guide helps you understand all there is to know about setting up your NordVPN on your Samsung Smart TV and then show you reasons NordVPN is considered an excellent fit for your Smart TV. If there is anything we feel about Samsung Smart Tv users on a NordVPN plan, it is “CONFIDENT”! After spending a good deal of time test running, researching and putting together this setup guide for you, we feel confident that you would have a smooth online ride if you stay subscribed to NordVPN.