How to Watch Amazon Prime Outside Japan
It is very easy to watch the Japanese version of Amazon Prime outside Japan. You just have to install a VPN service.
Amazon has been available in Japan a little over ten years. But the kicker is that the Japanese version of Amazon Prime is not available outside the country. Now, there’s a simple way around watching this version of Amazon Prime regardless of where you are in the world, and that is by using a VPN. We will be discussing that in detail in this article.
Why can’t I watch the Japanese Amazon Prime in other countries?
Amazon Prime has content specific to each region. The reason for this is that there are some shows that are licensed only for a particular region. For example, there are movies that are licensed to be shown only in Japan; such movies cannot be included in Amazon Prime’s content for other locations. In this case, if you don’t have a Japanese IP address, you cannot watch these movies.
How a VPN helps you watch the Japanese version of Amazon Prime
Watching the Japanese version of Amazon Prime outside the country requires the use of a VPN service. A VPN service sends traffic from your device through an external server you are connected to before you access the internet. By connecting to a VPN’s server, other people on the internet see your IP address as that of the server. Hence, a Japanese server gives you a Japanese IP address, and so on.
To access Amazon Prime’s content for Japan, the system needs to see that you are in Japan. It only grants access to this content to viewers with Japanese IP addresses. However, by using a VPN service, it is made to believe that you are in Japan. You’ll then be able to watch the Japanese version like everyone else in the country, even if you are miles away!
The best VPNs to watch Amazon Prime outside Japan
There are many paid and free VPNs to select from, and the best five that will make viewing content on Amazon Prime easier are;
- Number of servers: More than 3,000
- Speeds: Unlimited
- Server locations: 160 in 94 countries
- Maximum devices supported: 5
- 24 live chat: Yes
- 30 day money back guarantee: Yes
- Fastest VPN out there
- Strict no logs policy
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Few discounts
ExpressVPN was one of the first types of VPNs to have been introduced to the digital world. It has, over the years, made a name for itself by bringing quality, reliability, and speed to the table. The VPN service is based in the British Virgin Islands and has many features that make watching Amazon Prime outside Japan easier.
Firstly, the service has 256-bit encryption to ensure privacy when watching Amazon Prime videos. With this military-grade protection, you can direct your traffic through the VPN without worrying about attackers or information loss. The VPN service has over 3000 servers in 94 countries, with a good number of them in Japan. The servers in Japan are the ones that really matter when viewing the Japanese version of Amazon Prime because they’ll give you a Japanese IP address.
Secondly, you’ll get unlimited bandwidth to watch as many videos on Amazon Prime as you like. The VPN service does not cap your data usage, so you can enjoy unlimited monthly videos on Amazon Prime. And if you are not satisfied with the ExpressVPN when using it to watch Amazon Prime, then you can always get a full refund with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Furthermore, ExpressVPN is versatile, allowing you to connect as many as five devices simultaneously to one account. To add to its functionality, the VPN service is available on macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and many other operating systems. ExpressVPN also works well with watching other Japanese TV shows overseas such as GYAO, Japanese Hulu and AbemaTV.
- Cryptocurrency accepted? Yes
- Simultaneous connections: 6
- Dedicated IP-addresses? Yes
- Servers: 5342 in 58 countries
- Lots of pricing options
- Netflix support kept up to date
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Slow app
Another VPN that’ll give you access to the Japanese version of Amazon Prime in a breeze is NordVPN. Although a relatively new service, NordVPN is slowly rising to the top of the list of best VPNs to use to access Japanese content. It is located in Panama and offers secure connections, no restrictions, speed, and versatility to its users.
The VPN service has as many as 5000 servers in more than 60 countries in the world. Many of these servers are in Japan, so getting a Japanese IP address to watch Amazon Prime will be straightforward. The service has a double encryption system to keep your data private as you watch videos on the site. With its basic features provided, you have the option of picking between Ultra-fast or Ultra-secure connections when watching Amazon Prime videos.
NordVPN works on almost every type of operating system available. And you can connect as many as six devices at a time to a single account. It supports P2P and has extensive features to make the process of watching videos on Amazon Prime easier. Like other VPNs on this list, you can get a refund within 30 days if, for any reason, you are not satisfied with NordVPN.
To top everything up, you can get all these features for only $3 a month on long-period subscription plans. NordVPN is one of the cheapest VPNs out there.
- Free trial? Yes
- Simultaneous connections: unlimited
- Ad blocking? Yes
- Servers: 1000+ in 61 countries
- No footprints
- Allows torrenting
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Not the cheapest around
The third VPN on our list is SurfShark. As a VPN service, SurfShark is making ground-breaking success around the world, especially as a solution to the problem of viewing the Japanese version of Amazon Prime outside the country. For a VPN that costs as low as $2 a month, it has exciting features that you’ll love to have when watching videos on Amazon Prime.
To start off, the VPN has a strict no-log policy so your activities will not be tracked, monitored, or stored when you watch Amazon Prime videos. This is a problem other users of free VPNs face, but with Surfshark, you’ll experience no such thing. There is also a kill switch feature that protects your data and activities even when the connection drops. Isn’t that cool?
Secondly, you can connect as many devices as you like on a single Surfshark account. The VPN has more than 1000 servers in over 60 countries, with a decent amount of them in Japan. Using the VPN on a Japanese SurfShark server is also very fast, so watching videos on Amazon Prime is an enjoyable experience. SurfShark also lets you watch shows such as Japanese Netflix and Japanese Dazn overseas.
- One click connect? Yes
- Platforms: Mac, Windows, iOS, Android
- Bandwidth cap? No
- Servers: 100+ superfast servers
- Apps for all devices
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Not as many servers as others
VPNs are meant to have rock-solid connections, and UltraVPN is a perfect example of such. It is the fourth on our list because of its features that make watching Amazon Prime videos worthwhile. If you are looking for a VPN with many features at a low price, then this may just be the one for you.
The best out of all its features is its speed. With UltraVPN, you can connect to Amazon Prime in seconds, no matter where you are on the globe. The VPN service also allows you to watch video content with no bandwidth caps all day long. It maintains a constant speed throughout, which is what everyone likes in a VPN service.
With respect to privacy and safety, UlltraVPN scores high points. It uses 256-bit encryption as well as a secure firewall to protect its viewers from the loss of sensitive data when watching content on Amazon Prime. And with the service being available on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, you can connect all your devices with ease.
UltraVPN is available in 55 countries of the world, with a good number of its servers in Japan.
- Connected devices at once: 7
- One click connect: Yes
- Automatic kill switch? Yes
- Servers: 5900 worldwide
- No logs policy
- 24/7 live chat
- Apps for mobile devices and routers
- No free option
CyberGhost has over 15 years of expertise and has maintained an excellent quality and reliability level over the years. The VPN service makes viewers enjoy the Japanese version of Amazon Prime with amazing features. So, what is unique about this VPN service?
Firstly, CyberGhost has over 5600 servers around the world. And included in this number are quite a number of CyberGhost servers in Japan. You’ll also have a no-log feature so that your activities, while streaming content on Amazon Prime, cannot be tracked or monitored. And as icing on the cake, you’ll have a kill switch, military-grade encryption, and a DNS leak protection.
The VPN service allows as many as seven simultaneous connections on one account. With this number, you can watch videos on Amazon Prime on any device that uses macOS, Windows, Android, and Linux operating systems. CyberGhost’s connections are also very fast, so you wouldn’t have any issue with video lag or buffering.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with how CyberGost allows you to watch content on Amazon Prime, you can request for a refund within 45 days.
How do you know which VPN to pick?
Apart from the five mentioned above, there are so many other VPNs that’ll allow you to watch the Japanese version of Amazon Prime outside the country. Therefore, picking just the one can be a chore. The factors you should look out for include;
- Server location: It is important to go for a VPN service that has a large number of servers in Japan if you want to watch Japan’s Amazon Prime from other countries. Only these servers can give you the Japanese IP address you desire.
- Bandwidth and speed: No one likes to be cut off when watching a trending movie or video. Therefore, ensure you pick a VPN that has unlimited bandwidth. Many free types of VPNs don’t have this feature.
- Cost: The price you pay for a VPN service must reflect on its worth. Ensure that the one you go for includes all the features you need at a reasonable price.
- Log policy and privacy: One of the essential features of a VPN is that it should protect data loss, and provide online privacy. The best VPNs do not compromise on this factor, and sadly most free VPNs cannot guarantee you of this.
- Number of simultaneous connections and accessibility on devices: The best VPNs allow several connections on a host of devices. You should place those that allow several devices to connect simultaneously higher than the others that do not when getting a VPN.
- Geo-restriction: VPNs do not need information on your physical location. So, if your device accidentally reveals it through the ‘location’ icon, a good VPN should block and prevent this.
- Available protocol: VPNs that run on the most recent protocols allow viewers to watch content more conveniently than others.
How to use a VPN to access Amazon Prime
- First, select a VPN. We’ve included the best five that’ll give you access to the Japanese version of Amazon Prime above, so select from any one of them.
- Download and install the VPN to your device or install the extension on your browser.
- Connect to a Japanese server available. Make sure that the server you pick is in Japan to view the Japanese version of the site.
- Sign up or sign in to your Amazon Prime account, and start enjoying its video content.
Why you should not use a free VPN
- Free VPNs bombard you with adverts even while you are watching a video or movie.
- Many free VPNs store, track, monitor, or even sell your data and activities.
- Many free VPNs do not protect your device from malware.
- Most free VPNs are slow and buffer all through the video.
- Most free VPNs have daily bandwidth caps.
Amazon Prime is a great site to watch videos and movies. And its Japanese version has premium Japan-exclusive content that is not accessible outside the country. To bypass this, you know all you need to do is get a Japanese IP address using a VPN.
We’ve included the five best VPNs that’ll help you watch the Japanese version of Amazon Prime, wherever you are in the world. Also, the steps to using these VPNs to watch the videos are available in this piece. Pick any VPN based on the criteria we have included and start enjoying the Japanese version of Amazon Prime. If you want to see a test of VPNs for Amazon Prime in general, read this article.