How to Watch AbemaTV Outside Japan
AbemaTV is a video streaming site that is owned and controlled by AbemaTV, Inc., a leading entertainment company in Japan. The site’s content is only accessible to people in Japan, as you need to need to have a Japanese IP address to watch the channel. However, with a VPN service, you can get a Japanese IP address and watch AbemaTV easily outside Japan.
This article will teach you how you can watch AbemaTV outside Japan effortlessly with a VPN service. But first, why can’t you access the site in other countries?
Why AbemaTV is Blocked Outside Japan
AbemaTV has only purchased the rights to show its content to viewers in Japan. Therefore, the company cannot make its content accessible to viewers that are not covered by these rights, that is, viewers that are not in Japan. This means you’ll need a Japanese IP address to watch AbemaTV in any country that is not Japan.
Luckily there’s an easy way out to go about watching AbemaTV in other countries. And this is where a Virtual Private Network steps in. With a VPN service, you can connect to a Japanese server and get the IP address you need to stream the site’s content.
VPN is an initialism for Virtual Private Network. In plain terms, its function is to connect your smartphone, tablet, or PC to a server, so that you can browse using the server’s IP address. Hence, with a VPN, you can be several miles away from a region, and you’ll still be able to access things in that region you typically wouldn’t.
Best VPNs for accessing AbemaTV outside Japan
There are so many VPN services available that choosing one can be difficult. Moreover, not all of them will work well with AbemaTV.
The five best Virtual Private Networks that will give you easy access to all AbemaTV content are;
- Number of servers: More than 3,000
- Speeds: Unlimited
- Server locations: 160 in 94 countries
- Maximum devices supported: 5
- 24 live chat: Yes
- 30 day money back guarantee: Yes
- Fastest VPN out there
- Strict no logs policy
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Few discounts
ExpressVPN was one of the first VPN options to exist in the market. With the advantage of being an early bird, it has garnered popularity and quite a reputation for itself. But not just that, it has also continuously improved its services over time and is now one of the most reliable VPN service providers.
When looking for the perfect VPN service to get, speed and privacy are two things to look out for. ExpressVPN scores high points in both. When tested, the service worked very well in accessing AbemaTV. There’s also a smart location feature to connect to the fastest server immediately, which is determined by their speed index and download speed.
One of the most significant advantages of using ExpressVPN is its number of servers in Japan. ExpressVPN has many servers, that connecting to AbemaTV is no problem for viewers. Its compatibility with several devices is also something to admire. The network provides custom software for Android, Windows, Mac, and iOS. And with up to three simultaneous connections, ExpressVPN is flexible to use. The installable web extension also makes it easy to use on Chrome or Firefox.
The icing on the cake is that you don’t need to be experienced to use ExpressVPN. All you need do is select a Japanese server and you’ll get access to AbemaTV’s content. If you have any issues connecting to a server, ExpressVPN has excellent customer service to resolve all complaints.
- Cryptocurrency accepted? Yes
- Simultaneous connections: 6
- Dedicated IP-addresses? Yes
- Servers: 5342 in 58 countries
- Lots of pricing options
- Netflix support kept up to date
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Slow app
The second VPN option that you can use to watch content on AbemaTV is NordVPN. Although launched several years after, this network is a strong competitor to ExpressVPN. It provides great security, privacy, and speed through its many servers in Japan that makes streaming content on AbemaTV enjoyable.
Located in Panama, the service maintains online user anonymity. And with its double encryption service, your safety is guaranteed when using this site. With respect to numbers, NordVPN is available in more than 60 countries and has over 5,000 servers. You’ll easily bypass any geographical restriction with it.
Apart from the excellent security, privacy, and speed in accessing AbemaTV, this network also brings its user-friendly interface to the table. No technical knowledge is needed, and you are just one click away from watching your favorite programs on the website. You’ll also have advanced features like double VPN and P2P servers for more privacy. NordVPN is also a good choice for watching Japanese TV overseas in general, if you want to watch shows like GYAO, TVer, dTV and Japanese Netflix.
As expected, NordVPN’s customer support is available all day long if you run into trouble.
- Free trial? Yes
- Simultaneous connections: unlimited
- Ad blocking? Yes
- Servers: 1000+ in 61 countries
- No footprints
- Allows torrenting
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Not the fastest
Coming in third on the list of the best VPNs to stream content on AbemaTV is SurfShark. It’s one of the recent additions that has broken ground records in the market. But what makes this Virtual Private Network stand out from the others?
When connecting to many VPN services, you’ll likely notice the dip in speed due to traffic on the site. When this happens, videos begin to buffer, and it could make streaming your favorite AbemaTV very frustrating. With SurfShark, you’ll experience no such thing. Simply put, this provider is one of the fastest around, with high image quality.
The network is accessible in a little over 50 countries, with 500 servers to connect to. While the number may seem low, compared to that of other VPNs, the quality should not be overlooked. SurfShark policy is to not compromise on the quality for quantity. With that in mind, we can understand why the number of servers falls short.
With technological advancement, everything is becoming complex, including VPNs. However, SurfShark has kept its interface and network as simple as possible so that an average computer literate can use it. It is easy to navigate, and users’ privacy details are difficult to access.
SurfShark charges a significantly cheaper fee for its services than many other VPNs. They offer a discount policy, with a longer subscription attracting a larger discount.
- One click connect? Yes
- Servers: 100+ superfast servers
- Bandwidth cap? No
- Platforms: Mac, Windows, iOS, Android
- Apps for all devices
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Not as many servers as others
The perfect example of a young and upcoming VPN is UltraVPN. Established a few years back, the network has made a name for itself with exponential growth in only a couple of years. The reason for this is not far-fetched, as much of their popularity has been due to their stable and quality servers.
Contrary to popular belief, connecting to AbemaTV with a VPN like UltraVPN is not illegal. The VPN service is accessible in as many as 55 countries around the world. While trying to break into the market, UltraVPN has grown its capacity by providing more servers that are reliable and of substantially higher quality than previous ones.
The speed of most VPNs decrease over time. However, UltraVPN has maintained a constant and fast speed when streaming content on AbemaTV. With good connections to the server, the experience of streaming AbemaTV is enjoyable.
The VPN is available for download on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices. No configuration settings or complex procedures are needed. Just connect to one of UltraVPN’s Japanese servers and enjoy the content AbemaTV has for you.
- Connected devices at once: 7
- Automatic kill switch? Yes
- One click connect: Yes
- Servers: 5900 worldwide
- No logs policy
- 24/7 live chat
- Apps for mobile devices and routers
- No free option
Our final VPN on the list is one that reveals much about its functionality from its name. CyberGhost is a popular VPN that has kept its promise of providing the best access to IP addresses. But what makes this VPN different from the rest?
CyberGhost is among the earliest VPNs to have been introduced and is still one of the fastest-growing. The total servers available recently passed the 3,000 mark with access in over 60 countries around the world. For an established network, that’s quite an impressive feat to achieve.
Lags when streaming a video tops the list of all things that online viewers hate. The good news is that this VPN has virtually no lag time when videos are being played on AbemaTV. The experience when using the server is smooth and fast, with the option of selecting when and where it can be used.
CyberGhost’s selling point is in its privacy wall, which ensures all information sent and activity carried out is protected. The network has an active customer support service if you need to resolve any complaint. This is one VPN service you’ll enjoy when you connect to one of its Japanese servers.
How does a VPN work?
When connected to a VPN’s server, your smartphone, tablet, or computer will share the same network as the server. Your traffic will then be sent through the server via a secure connection. From this connection, you can access resources and browse as if you were in the server’s location.
Therefore, when you connect to a Japanese server with a VPN service, you’ll get a Japanese IP address. Instead of AbemaTV to see that you are in the US, for example, it’ll see your connection as if it were coming from a Japanese computer. Problem solved!
Which VPN should I pick?
The top features of a Virtual Private Network that will work well with AbemaTV are;
- Location of the server: The most significant feature a VPN service must have is that it should have servers in Japan to access AbemaTV. One with many servers but none in Japan will still not allow you to watch AbemaTV.
- Data limits: The best VPNs to stream content on AbemaTV should not have data limits. Check to see if the network has unmetered bandwidth without the video lagging.
- Accessibility on multiple devices: Flexibility is an important thing to consider, and a VPN that can be set up in several devices at once should rank higher than others. Also, VPNs that can run on all types of operating systems are better than those that can’t.
- Cost: Different price ranges exist. However, expensive does not always mean better. Ensure that the worth of the VPN matches the price you’ll be paying for it.
- Protocol: The more recent the protocol on it, the easier it will be to stream content on Abema TV.
- Stability: You should opt for a provider that guarantees a stable connection; dropped connections can be frustrating when using a VPN.
- Geo-restrictions: Ability to maneuver through different geo-restrictions is also an important feature of a good Virtual Private Network.
Will free VPN servers work with AbemaTV?
All the VPN servers mentioned above are paid and not free. However, that shouldn’t scare you away. If you register for a long period, they can cost you only $3 a month. Furthermore, you’ll also get a 30-day guarantee to get your money back in most of these VPN services. So, that gives you more confidence to dive in. On the other hand;
- Most Free VPNs don’t have servers in Japan: These VPNs target other countries and do not many servers to connect to in Japan. Hence, you’ll not be able to access AbemaTV.
- Most Free VPNs are slow and not good for streaming: Many shows shown on AbemaTV are live contents. This means you’ll need a VPN with good speed to stream these content as they occur. Most free VPNs have very slow speeds that are frustrating to stream content on AbemaTV.
- Many free VPNs have data limits: Imagine watching a live show on AbemaTV and then suddenly being cut off. You check for the problem, but can’t seem to find any, only for a message to pop up. You have used your daily data allowance! There’s nothing you can do but wait till the next day to continue streaming the content. You’ll experience this in many free VPNs.
- Most free VPNs keep logs of your internet traffic: There’s no guarantee that your login details or internet history are not being saved in most free VPNs. This is not something you’ll want to have.
AbemaTV is not your regular channel. They show interesting and entertaining content that many people find enjoyable. With only Japanese IP addresses allowed to view it, many people outside Japan couldn’t wrap their minds on how they’ll still enjoy these shows.
The VPNs included in this article can help you access AbemaTV’s content all day long. Pick any one and continue watching your favorite shows. The best part is that it is legal to use them!