How to Set Up and Use Surfshark on Android TV (2024)
Surfshark is one of the fastest VPN service providers globally and is an excellent choice for Android TV. Once you sign up for Surfshark and set it up on your device, you’ll gain access to all the fantastic features SurkShark offers. The features include unlimited connections and bandwidth, military-grade encryption protocols, access to geo-restricted content, and other great features. This is a comprehensive guide on how to download and set-up Surfshark on your Android TV.
How to Download Surfshark on Android TV
It is relatively easy to download Surfshark on Android TV. You only need to follow the right steps, which we will list below.
- On your Android TV, visit the Play Store.
- Click on the search bar and type in Surfshark to search for the app. Alternatively, you can follow a link on the Surfshark website to start a direct download.
- After Surfshark shows up in the search results, select the official app. Note that the app requires Android OS 5.0 or later.
- Click on the ‘download’ button. The download will start automatically. When the download is complete, click ‘install’ to start the installation.
Setting Up Surfshark on Android TV
Once you have downloaded and installed the VPN app, you should proceed to the next step to set it up. In this guide, we’ll look at the two main ways you can set up Surfshark on your Android TV. You can set up the VPN through the app or set it up through a physical router. The steps for setting up the service through both options are discussed below.
Setting Up Surfshark via the App
- After the installation is complete, open the VPN app by clicking the ‘Open’ button or through the Burger menu button on the TV remote to launch the app.
- After launching the app, log in with your details if you are an existing user. You must have an existing subscription plan to proceed. You’ll be required to supply the valid email address and password you provided during registration. After this, you can then gain access to your account. If you have not purchased a subscription plan, then you can get one. There are lots of affordable subscription plans you can buy. Surfshark also offers a free trial period of seven days to enable users to test the app for free.
- Connect to one of Surfshark’s virtual servers. You can select any available location you prefer or click the fastest server option to connect to the fastest server. You can also check out the ‘features’ and ‘settings’ tabs to view the various settings and features.
- After selecting a server, wait till the connection status displays ‘connected.’
- You can now start enjoying the secure network and other unique features.
Setting Up Surfshark via a Physical Router
If you need an alternative to setting up Surfshark via the app, you can also set up the service through a physical router. First, you need to get a router that is designed to work with a VPN. It must have a firmware with pre-installed OpenVPN or L2TP client. If these are available, you can set up Surfshark on the router and connect to your Android TV. To set up and use Surfshark via a physical router, follow the steps below.
- Subscribe to a Surfshark plan.
- Connect to the control panel on your router. To do this, you will need the default gateway address. You can then enter the default gateway in the address bar on your browser. The default gateway is usually the same: 192.168.1.1. This will lead you to the VPN control panel.
- You will be required to log in to the control panel on your router. To get the default credentials, check the back of your router. After logging in to the control panel, you will see the VPN tab in the left sidebar.
- Select the VPN client and click the ‘Add profile’ button at the bottom of the tab. You will see the ‘Description’ ‘Username’ and ‘Password’ tabs. You can enter any description of your choice. After that, input your Surfshark username and registered password.
- Download the configuration file of the server you want to connect to. After downloading, select the file directory, click ‘open’ and choose ‘upload.’
- Click ‘Activate’ to connect the router to the VPN server. After a successful connection, a blue checkmark will appear.
Why Use Surfshark for Android TV
There are many reasons why you should use Surfshark for your Android TV. Surfshark has many remarkable features that make it a perfect fit for your Android TV. We will look at some of them below.
- Excellent Security Features: Surfshark provides excellent security and privacy features such as kill switch, obfuscation, and a military-grade encryption protocol. The kill switch feature turns off the internet connection if the VPN connection should fail suddenly. The obfuscation feature ensures your real IP address is completely hidden when using your Android TV. Surfshark uses the AES 256-bit protocol for encryption, which is unbreakable, thereby guaranteeing optimal security.
- Unlimited Number of Connections: A remarkable feature Surfshark has is the support for unlimited connections and bandwidth. On Surfshark, you can use a single subscription on as many devices as you want. Also, there is no bandwidth cap, and you can use the service for as long as you like without connection breaks or buffering.
- Access to Blocked Content: Surfshark offers access to geo-restricted or blocked content. This means you can access content on Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and other service providers through the different server locations available on the service.
Surfshark is one of the best VPN services to use on your Android TV. Utilizing your Android TV without a VPN can open your device to risks. However, a VPN will keep your device safe while offering other benefits at the same time. In this article, we have discussed how to download and set up Surfshark on Android TV. This will help improve your experience while using your Android TV. See review of best VPN for Android TV here.